Serving the Metro East area since 1979

NCSG Logo CSIA Logo1

Double click to insert body text here ...

Double click to insert body text here ...

Website_Logo facebook google_plus twitter

Welcome to my blog

 

Here you can add some text to explain what your blog is about and a bit about you.

Carbon Monoxide

By mainechimne63644266, Jan 30 2020 06:28PM

Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the “Silent Killer” because it is odorless and invisible, CO is the number one cause of poisoning fatalities. Fireplaces and other fuel-burning appliances are the leading sources for exposure to carbon monoxide. With the proper awareness and preventative action, CO poisoning is entirely preventable.


Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as wood, gas, charcoal, kerosene, and oil are burned.

A fire which burns efficiently and which has proper ventilation up through a sound chimney does not typically release dangerous quantities of carbon monoxide into a home. But, for instance, if a faulty fuel-burning appliance such as a natural gas burner operates in an enclosed space which lacks good ventilation, dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide can be released and cause poisoning. High levels of CO can kill a person within minutes.


Sources of Carbon Monoxide:


If a fire is burning in a fireplace which has an obstructed chimney, exposure to CO is possible due to an accumulation of combustion gases. A broken chimney connector pipe or a rusted heat exchanger can produce the same hazardous result.


A reverse air flow in the chimney when a fire is burning in the fireplace can cause CO to enter the home. The reason the air goes back into the house instead of up the chimney is usually because the house is too tightly sealed and doesn’t allow the air to flow properly.


Using a charcoal-burning barbeque grill indoors can cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.


If you use a gas stove too long, perhaps to try and warm the room, it is very dangerous because it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.


CO can enter the home if a car idles or a lawnmower or generator runs in the garage.


Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:


Call emergency services if you suspect that you or someone in your home may be suffering from

exposure to carbon monoxide. Also, immediately go outside or where there is plenty of ventilation.

The following are common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:


Fatigue

Headache

Nausea

Dizziness

Vomiting

Shortness of breath

Disorientation

Loss of consciousness


Tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning:


Install at least one smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm on each level of your home and near bedrooms. Make sure the alarms comply with local regulations regarding placement in the home and meet the latest Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety standards.


Always open dampers before using your fireplace.

Do not use generators indoors.


Space heaters should only be used in well-ventilated areas.


At least once annually, hire a professional chimney sweep to clean and inspect your chimney.


Protect your family from the Silent Killer by taking preventative measures. Contact us to set up a chimney inspection. 618.235.6364









Add a comment
* Required
RSS Feed

Web feed

blog hero

Call us today for an appointment:

618-235-6364